Trinity House:

Trinity House Depot (The Quay) Founded by Henry VIII in 1514, Trinity House is responsible for lights and buoys. There has been a Trinity House Depot in Harwich since 1812 and it is now the Operational Headquarters for England and Wales. Previously the Headquarters were in Trinity Square, London next to Tower Hill and the depot was at Blackwall, London. The depot moved to Harwich in 1940. The present offices (at the junction between West Street and the Quay) were built in 2005,  when a new Buoy Yard was also constructed in George Street. There are frequently lightships moored in the harbour being serviced by the Depot. A series of mural panels to mark the Millennium erected on the side of the former Buoy Sheds can currently be seen on the Navyard car park off Wellington Road. The theme of these panels is the barge building, which was carried out in the creek opposite the Trinity House buildings. Other premises on the Quay previously occupied by Trinity House are scheduled for redevelopment in accordance with the regeneration plan.

Trinity Pier:

Rebuilt in the 1950's on the site of the wooden Continental Pier, also known as the Railway Pier, which was both longer and wider. The Continental Pier was built in 1866 and was the terminus for the GER ships until Parkeston Quay opened in 1883. Trinity House lighthouse tender ships berth here. Best known of these is the Trinity House flagship 'Patricia'. The fleet is currently being renewed with modern purpose built ships to service buoys, lighthouses and lightships throughout England and Wales and Northern Ireland.

Train Ferry Terminal:

Train ferries formerly operated a daily service carrying rail trucks to Zeebrugge in Belgium. It was originally built by the Army at Richborough in Kent in the First World War for the conveying of stores and hospital trains to and from France. It was bought as a job lot (shore equipment and ships) by the LNER and brought to Harwich in 1923. The pontoon carrying the lifting gantry sank in the entrance to Harwich Harbour and had to be refloated using barrels. The service was opened in April 1924 by Prince George (later the Duke of Kent) and operated by three ships (Train Ferry No 1, No 2 and No 3), only one of which (No 1) survived the Second World War. New ships were built after the Second World War and the service continued until 1987 when it was transferred to Dover.
The Harwich Society
Website by XL Web Design
01255 504924

Trinity House:

Trinity House Depot (The Quay) Founded by Henry VIII in 1514, Trinity House is responsible for lights and buoys. There has been a Trinity House Depot in Harwich since 1812 and it is now the Operational Headquarters for England and Wales. Previously the Headquarters were in Trinity Square, London next to Tower Hill and the depot was at Blackwall, London. The depot moved to Harwich in 1940. The present offices (at the junction between West Street and the Quay) were built in 2005,  when a new Buoy Yard was also constructed in George Street. There are frequently lightships moored in the harbour being serviced by the Depot. A series of mural panels to mark the Millennium erected on the side of the former Buoy Sheds can currently be seen on the Navyard car park off Wellington Road. The theme of these panels is the barge building, which was carried out in the creek opposite the Trinity House buildings. Other premises on the Quay previously occupied by Trinity House are scheduled for redevelopment in accordance with the regeneration plan.

Trinity Pier:

Rebuilt in the 1950's on the site of the wooden Continental Pier, also known as the Railway Pier, which was both longer and wider. The Continental Pier was built in 1866 and was the terminus for the GER ships until Parkeston Quay opened in 1883. Trinity House lighthouse tender ships berth here. Best known of these is the Trinity House flagship 'Patricia'. The fleet is currently being renewed with modern purpose built ships to service buoys, lighthouses and lightships throughout England and Wales and Northern Ireland.

Train Ferry Terminal:

Train ferries formerly operated a daily service carrying rail trucks to Zeebrugge in Belgium. It was originally built by the Army at Richborough in Kent in the First World War for the conveying of stores and hospital trains to and from France. It was bought as a job lot (shore equipment and ships) by the LNER and brought to Harwich in 1923. The pontoon carrying the lifting gantry sank in the entrance to Harwich Harbour and had to be refloated using barrels. The service was opened in April 1924 by Prince George (later the Duke of Kent) and operated by three ships (Train Ferry No 1, No 2 and No 3), only one of which (No 1) survived the Second World War. New ships were built after the Second World War and the service continued until 1987 when it was transferred to Dover.
The Harwich Society
Website by XL Web Design
01255 504924